The Kashubs built three Parishes. The first was in Wilno in the year 1875 and was called Saint Stanislaus Kostka . In 1936 the church was destroyed by fire and a new church was built and named St. Mary’s Church. The second parish built was in Barry’s Bay in 1896 called the Mission Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin. The parishioners outgrew this church and decided to build a new one called St. Hedwig’s in the year 1915. The third parish built by the Kashubs was in Round Lake in the year 1925. It was named St. Bronislaus. They outgrew the church, and in 1930 they built a new church and they call it St. Casimir’s Church.
There were many changes to all the parishes and their churches, but one thing that unites them all is Matczi Bòsczi Swiónowsczi Królewi Kaszëb Blessed Mother of Sianowo, Queen of Kashubia.
In 2005 Saint Mary’s received a statue and was a big part of the 150th anniversary mass on August 2th 2008.
David Shulist, Msgr. Ambrose Pick and Gienek Pryczkowski proudly stand with Our Lady of Sianowo.
The Prince & Princess carry the Blessed Mother of Sianowo, Queen of Kaszebe
Saint Casimir’s received a picture of the lady from the Parish of Sianowo in the year 2008 part of their 150 years of Kashubian heritage.
As part of the 150th Anniversary a procession with our Blessed Lady took place and she found her permanent home at St. Casmir’s Church in Round Lake Centre Father Jamie Utronkie stands proudly with the Holy Icon on the day of the celebration of his first Mass following his ordination.
In 2009, Saint Hedwig’s received their picture from the Parish of Sianowo.
This Icon has become very close to all the Canadian Kashubs just like for the Kashubs in Kashubia, Europe.
Faith was a big part of the Kashubian heritage back in 1858 and still is today.
Another tradition we have in Kashubia Canada are roadside crosses. In the beginning, there were no churches and even when there were, it was hard to make it sometimes because of the harsh condition of the roads and sometimes bad weather. The Kashubs would install a cross on each crossroad. This would give everyone only a few miles to walk to the nearest cross. Sometimes to worship, sometimes just to meet and talk. Today there are approx. 20 roadside crosses you can see dotting the landscape of Canada’s Kashubia. There is one cross that still stands that is over a century old on the corner Wilno North Road and Cranberry Creek Road. This corner is also known as Kashub Corner in the settlement of Kalisz and is taken care by David & Diana Shulist. David is a Kashubian activist, promoter & preserver of the Kashubian culture in Canada.
Martin Shulist - a builder of crosses.
A gift to Prime Minister Donald Tusk from Mayor David Shulist and his family along with Senator Kazimierz Kleina (on the left).